Monday, May 04, 2009

MyThanks to You and a Reference to St. Francis

I wish to extend my thanks to all who offered prayers for my recovery from my fall. Your prayers and mine have been answered. Four days after my surgery I was home. My "Strange and Special Angel" was ready to take care of me, something that he took great joy in doing. On April 13 I was back at work. On April 29, my surgeon declared me fit to return to work (never mind that I had already been working for three weeks).

This past Sunday, my Pastor was commenting on my miraculous recovery; adding that after my demise, they might need to check the state of my remains. He did, however, amend that to observe that the state of my angel's remains might be of more interest. Sainthood in either case seems to be highly unlikely.

Concerning the Saints, however, working at a Catholic book store guides my attention to many curious coincidences. While browsing our collection of Holy Cards for a customer, I discovered one for St. Francis. This one is imprinted with a "Prayer for my Pet." I will be the first to admit that this prayer includes nothing that I have not said many times over as long as my Bear has been with me.

"In Your infinite wisdom, Lord God, when You created the universe You blessed us with all living creatures. We especially thank You for giving us our pets who are our friends and who bring us so much joy in life. Their presence very often helps us get through trying times. Kindly bless my pet. May my pet continue giving me joy and remind me of Your power.

"May we realize that as our pets trust us to take care of them, so we should trust You to take care of us, and in taking care of them we share in Your love for all Your creatures. Enlighten our minds to preserve all endangered species so that we may continue to appreciate all of Your creations.

"Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen."

With respect to Fr. Eckhartd ("I Will Consider My Cat"): The death of a pet is sometimes "Ho,Hum," and at other times quite traumatic. I can't explain it; but it happens. My current "angel" decided to go home with me even if I was not so sure I really wanted him. I am greatful for his choice. He has been my companion, guardial angel and life saver for six years. Enjoy the pets that come your way; but cherish the pets that are determined to adopt you even if you do not agree. These are God's gifts to you. I know I will feel the loss of my Bear whenever it happens.

(The Grammarian, XIV): I know that I should not revise an existing text to fit my own sensibilities; but I have a personal problem with the inclusion of "endangered species" at the conclusion of the prayer on the card mentioned above. Are these not already included among "all your creations?"

Reverend Fathers and Brothers, forgive me for rambling. I do appreciate the prayers that have been offered by all those, known and unknown to me, who have been answered by our Lord, who has granted me a gracious recovery. I always remember you all in my prayers.

May the peace and blessing of Our Lord be always with you.

Dcn. Muehlenbruch



2 comments:

Rev. Larry Beane said...

Dear Reverend Deacon:

Thanks be to God!

It has always puzzled me why so many LCMS guys feel the need to be loveless (if not cruel) to animals. The Lord provided these creatures for us, and I'm always suspicious of people who don't love animals - especially our domestic pets. I wonder if this is part of the reason St. Francis gets short shrift among American Lutherans.

I'm gratified when I hear Lutherans giving thanks to the Creator for these non-human and yet very much alive blessings of creation who love us and serve us as the Lord made them to do.

Once again, I'm glad you're on the mend, and I appreciate your comments.

Pax tecum!

Unknown said...

My wife and I are "bird people." Our current flock numbers 10, including 2 quakers, 2 conures, 5 cockatiels, and an English Budgie.

I've lost count of how many times Tina or I would be sick and one or another of the birds would insist on being the "guard bird," watching over us and making sure nothing disturbed us until we got better. (They wear bird diapers, so having them out and about doesn't create the mess you might imagine.) Several years ago I lost two of my pet conures within a few months of each other (right about the same time that I was being chased out of my Call in Kansas). I cried more for their loss than even my grandparents.

While it's true, strictly speaking, that animals don't "go to heaven" in the same sense people do, I see no reason why God could not, in the new creation, recreate our beloved animal companions for us to enjoy once more. Indeed, I dearly hope it is so.